Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

30 Weeks!


How Far Along: 30 weeks

Baby Size: a Loaf of Bread

Current Symptoms:  Puffiness! I feel puffy all over! My face looks rounder, my fingers are like sausages, and my ankles are cankles! I thought this sort of swelling would only happen in hot humid weather, but apparently it happens in the freezing cold, too! People keep asking me about my sodium intake…have I been eating more salty foods lately? If you know me well enough, you know that I have been eating significantly salty foods since day one of my pregnancy…and for years for that matter! So I don’t really think I have been eating more salty things than usual. I always have very low blood pressure, occasionally almost too low. Last week it was 98/60. I once had a nurse tell me that perhaps my salty preferences were actually my body’s way of ensuring that my blood pressure stayed within a healthy range. My low blood pressure greatly pleases my doctor during pregnancy, as high blood pressure is often a red flag. Anyway, for now my swollen feet have been wearing moccasins 24/7; thank goodness they are kind of trendy at the moment!

What's Different: Physical therapy! I started last Thursday and have had two sessions to date. My OBGYN suspected that I have a prematurely separated pelvis thanks to pregnancy hormones that relax the ligaments that hold my pelvis together. The physical therapist confirmed this was the case, but also informed me that my pelvis was completely out of alignment, most likely from my fall a few weeks ago.  My official diagnosis is “Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction”, great name, huh? To learn more about this horrible condition, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_pubis_dysfunction.  Because my pelvis is completely misaligned, the PT suspects that I have been compensating my movement and posture with my back, creating a secondary problem of quite the messed up lower back and sciatic nerve pain.  I am so grateful that my doctor referred me to physical therapy, as it appears that I am all sorts of screwed up at the moment!

I think all pregnant women should receive such services! I basically get a back massage twice a week! Its AMAZING! And I do legitimately feel physically better between sessions. The physical therapist is also able to “click” my pelvis back into its appropriate alignment each time I see her. I do have “homework” that I am supposed to do in-between sessions, which I have been trying my best to stay on top of. She has taught me pelvic safe methods of doing simple tasks such as rolling over in bed, getting in and out of bed and chairs, getting in and out of my car, etc.  In theory, these changes to me physical activity should allow my pelvis to stay in place as much as possible between therapy sessions. My physical therapist also recommended to my OBGYN that I acquire a temporary handicap parking pass as she does not want me to walk any further than I need to. Dr. Turer filled out the appropriate form, and I now have a pass in hand! I am very grateful for this accommodation.  Having to walk across a big parking lot wears me out before I have even had the chance to attempt grocery shopping. It won’t hurt when it comes to Christmas shipping either J The good news is that all of this should clear up on his own once the baby is born if I keep up with PT – the things we put up with for our children!



Carson Comments: Baby doll “Scooper” update – he is no longer “Scooper” and has officially been renamed “Crosby”. Carson loves to carry him around and refers to him as “my brother” – so cute! He says there are two Crosby’s…his doll, and the one in my belly. He has been using either Crosby towards his advantage. When wrapping a fire truck toy for his friend Dean’s birthday he said, “Mama, maybe we should keep this nice fire truck, Crosby needs his own fire truck too.” Already using his brother for manipulative purposes!  

Daddy Updates:  Ryan is trying his best to be sympathetic with this pelvis situation, as he is back to needing to be 1.5 parents when it comes to caring for Carson and keeping our house running smoothly. We often go back and forth about whether we want 2 or 3 children. He jokingly suggested that perhaps 2 kids is the way to go…as my body tries it’s hardest not to get pregnant, stay pregnant, or be comfortable while being pregnant! Between the gallbladder issue with Carson and the pelvic issue with Crosby…what else might be in store physically for a third pregnancy? I am not sure we are willing to find out! Maybe we will feel differently once this chapter is behind us.

Baby Prep: We have not done very much baby prep lately, but Christmas prep is in full swing! There are lots of baby prep items I would like to do, such as setting up baby gear…but I want to get through the holidays first. Its more important to have the Christmas tree up and decorated, than the pack and play taking up space at this point! This past weekend we cut down our Christmas tree, strung up Christmas lights on our house for the first time, and bought a beautiful new wreath for our front door. Once the holidays are over, we will have ( give or take) 6 weeks to unearth the swing, bouncy seat, pack n play, and all that other fun baby stuff! My nesting instincts have definitely kicked in, so for now I am funneling them into decorating for Christmas.


Looking Forward To: I am looking forward to continuing to feel more and more physically comfortable thanks to physical therapy, keeping in mind that my discomfort will not completely go away until after the baby is born.  I am definitely starting to have that “can I have my body back, please?” feeling that women often get in their final trimester. The single digit weekly countdown is officially in full swing, less than 10 weeks to go before Crosby makes his big entrance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment