Introducing Carson Michael Curtis, his little brother Crosby Quincy Curtis, and surprise Baby #3! Check back into the blog every so often for fun Carson, Crosby and Baby Girl updates!
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Prego Update - 34 Weeks!
So my 34th week of pregnancy has not exactly gone as planned! On Monday afternoon I began feeling what I thought was the worst heartburn I have ever had, and it eventually got so painful that I asked Ryan to drive me to the hospital. Once at the hospital, not only was a feeling an extreme amount of pain, but I started having contractions! They were eventually able to give me something for the pain, and after 24 hours or so, they were able to delay and/or stop by contractions.
After lots of blood work, ultrasounds, and tests, the doctors determined that I was having a gallbladder attack, which is apparently not so rare for pregnant women. The bad news was that I most likely needed my gallbladder removed. Obviously having major surgery while 34 weeks pregnant was not ideal! Exeter hospital did not feel comfortable attempting to do any surgery, as they did not have a NICU in the event that the surgery made it necessary for Carson to be delivered. Therefore, they transferred us to Elliot Hospital in Manchester, who has a fantastic NICU.
As of yesterday, it was looking like I would need immediate surgery, as my white blood counts were still really high pointing towards a possible infection which would be dangerous for both me and Carson. They decided to give me 1 round of antibiotics overnight, and then check my white blood cell count in the morning. The surgeon did not have much optimism regarding the success of the antibiotics, so we were pretty much gearing up for surgery for this afternoon.
Miraculously, when they drew my blood this morning (Wednesday) my white blood cell counts had drastically decreased! Therefore all of my doctors made a new plan...every day I will be given a round of antibiotics, and then have my blood tested the next morning. Assuming all counts stay low...thats one more day we can push off surgery, and one more day Carson gets to continue to grow inside his mommy! If by Sunday my counts continue to stay low, and I have not had another gallbladder attack, they may even let me go home and continue to antibiotic regiment there.
The doctors are 99% sure that I will eventually need my gallbladder removed...but that could be tomorrow...next week, or a month from now! For every day Carson stays inside of me...thats two days less he might have to stay in the NICU if born before 37 weeks. My OBGYN is doubtful that I will make it to 40 weeks with these health complications, but delivering around 36 or 37 weeks is much better than 34 weeks!
Carson has been doing absolutely great. I have been hooked up to a fetal monitor, and his heart rate has been perfect. He also continues to beebop all over the place despite my physical discomfort...which the nursing staff thinks is quite amusing...all of the hospital staff has learned his name and loves to come check in on "Carson"! We also have gotten a few more peeks of him through the various ultrasounds I have had...he is most definitely a boy!!
Ryan has been the best coach ever...very sensitive to my needs, while also being concerned for Carson. He has also been doing a great job keeping our family and friends up to date. I couldn't ask for a better husband!!
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, and we will keep you updated with any future changes!
Love,
Susie, Ryan, and Carson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Thinking of you. I am sure all will be well. Thanks so much for the update. - Elizabeth K.
ReplyDeleteStay strong susie! We're thinking of you and Carson!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for this turn of events and new antibiotics plan! Hang in there, all of you. xo
ReplyDeleteI hope things continue to get better! We're thinking of you all!
ReplyDeleteLittle Moose,
ReplyDeleteYou look rather peachie to me. Given your latest turn of events I think you're in league with angels. Love your kick-butt spirit, or is that Carson's?
Dadio
Hey Susie, glad to see you are still smiling. Thinking of you and sending lots of love across the miles. xoxo.
ReplyDeleteSusie & Ryan, I know this is not what you expected but it sounds like God is holding you all tight in his hands. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Jason arrived at 36 weeks and other than some jandice, was fine. You look great! Much love, Cheri & JEff
ReplyDelete