Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

25 Weeks!


 How Far Along: 25 weeks

Baby Size: Child’s Lunch Box

Current Symptoms:  Last week I was slowing down…this week I have hit a brick wall! And to think that I still have an entire trimester left to go! I have super sore and tired days where it is hard for me to walk around or get up off the couch…luckily they tend to fall on the weekends…or maybe my body finally lets go on the weekends after holding it together all week long? It has felt like Wader has been doing a nonstop cartwheel in my stomach, stretching out his arms and legs at the same time far as possible! Sometimes he is punching my stomach which makes me nauseous, or kicking my bladder/cervix which isn’t comfortable either!

What's Different: My employment situation is definitely different! When I was pregnant with Carson, I was working for a counseling agency that offered FMLA with disability insurance during maternity leave. I had team of people around me for support/coverage. I had a specific date when I would stop seeing clients, which would allow me to wrap up paperwork until Carson decided to arrive. This was a great plan that made me feel confident in terminating with my clients and tying up loose ends.  I ended up going out on bed rest with my gallbladder emergency 6 weeks early and didn’t terminate appropriately with anyone! But having a concrete game plan in place was super helpful none the less. Now I am working by myself in private practice. I have no coworkers…and I need to make money as long as possible to help pay myself while on maternity leave!  There are currently lots of questions swirling through my head….when should I stop accepting new clients? When should I stop scheduling my current clients? How much time can/should I take off for maternity leave before we go broke? I am lucky to have a handful of colleagues that are willing to cover some cases for me while I am out. My goal is to wrap up most of my clients and essentially shut my practice down for a  few months, and then building it back up again. Here is what I have decided so far: I will stop accepting new clients as of the holidays. I will stop scheduling current clients as of January 31st, 38 weeks pregnant. Knowing I could still be pregnant for potentially up to 3 more weeks, I will keep seeing a handful of “regular” clients on a week by week basis in early February. Hopefully it will work out smoothly!

Carson Comments: Carson has now become accepting of our chosen baby name for his little brother although still chooses to refer to him as “Wader”. This works out great, especially since certain family members whom shall remain nameless (Alyse, cough cough!) have been trying to pry the name out of him. He has consistently responded with “Wader!” whenever he is asked! Carson had his three year checkup this week with his much loved pediatrician, Dr. Jones. She had some great recommendations for us regarding integrating a newborn into Carson’s world. She suggested creating a “nursing/pumping” basket of toys and goodies to keep hidden in a closet, only to be brought out when Carson needs a distraction…brilliant! She also highly recommended that Wader give Carson a present when Carson visits the hospital. As materialistic as it sounds, she emphasized that first impressions are everything in a 3 year olds world! Any other good ideas on helping this process go more smoothly?

Daddy Updates:  When Carson was born in late October, he had a hard time maintaining his body temperature, so we tended to keep the heat up pretty high in the house, which drove Ryan crazy! Anticipating that we may have to do the same for a February baby, Ryan is attempting to repair and insulate every little crack and draft in the house these days. He has replaced the weather stripping on both our basement and front doors of the house. He also plans to shrink wrap all of our large windows to keep some of the heat in. Our house will be nice and toasty when he is through!

Baby Prep: We’ve signed Carson up for a Siblings Class at our hospital! The goal of the class is to make siblings more comfortable with holding a baby, helping change diapers, wrapping babies in a blanket, etc.  At the end of the class, they give the big brothers and sisters a tour of the hospital’s Family Center, so they can see where Mommy and Daddy will go to have the baby. It was suggested to us to sign up for the class that is closest to your due date, so that the tour of the maternity floor is fresh in their minds. The had a February 8th class, but we thought that might be cutting it close, especially with a potential need for a C section at 39 weeks, so we went for their January class instead. Should be a good time! I know Carson will be a great big brother!

Looking Forward To: The upcoming three day weekend! We either plan to send Carson to school and spend the day getting projects done around the house, or we may even let Carson play hooky and have a Mommy and Daddy day just the three of us, perhaps going to a fun museum or other activity. We shall see! Gotta relish the one on one time with him that we have left! J

1 comment:

  1. Thrilled to know that Carson is doing a good job keeping the babys name on the down low...especially since I havent tried to pry the name out of him or anyone else as of yet!

    ReplyDelete